Saturday, February 24, 2007

Alleywalk



Today's photo is from an alley in Lincoln behind a parking garage (click to enlarge). It's been a while since I tilted a photo for no good reason. ;) A long time ago at work, we had a consultant from Poynter come and give a talk on all things newspaper. One of the things he pointed out is that, in the photojournalistic setting, camera tilt should only be used in instances where camera tilt actually makes visual sense or adds something to the telling of the story. I think for photojournalism, this really rings true. Often, a tilted camera is just an indication that the photographer needs a wider angle lens, as they're trying to squeeze more elements into the photo by turning it diagonal; I know this was true for me back when 28mm was the widest that I could go.

No comments: