Monday, January 15, 2007

New lens

Got a new lens:







It's a Canon 70-200 2.8L IS. I sold my Sigma 70-200 2.8 and my EOS-3 to pay for it. (I am REALLY going to miss that EOS-3 -- we've been places, baby!) I've been wanting to use something with image stabilization for some time now, and this does the trick! I wrapped it up a couple days ago with some camo guntape (non-adhesive, of course) to break up the white. While white lenses may scream "look at me, I have a great lens!", that's not exactly what I'm after, especially with candids. :)







This was shot handheld at *1/60th* of a second. Indoor lighting, ISO 800 -- on my 20D, that's effectively 320mm being handheld at *1/60th*, and it's critically sharp. I do love this lens. Hopefully I can snag some good candids with this.



It's a napkin rack, in case you were wondering. :)

2 comments:

Josh said...

I didn't think you were going to go for the 2.8!??!

I'm glad you did though, that way there will be no regrets in a year or two.

It's a sweet lens, I hope you enjoy!

Ryan McGinnis said...

Yeah, I was going to go for the f/4L, but then I saw that Adorama was selling a refurbished 2.8 for $1,400, a good $350 to $400 off regular price. "Refurbised" only means that the lens was sent back by a customer and then returned to Canon for inspection. They can't sell it new, so you basically get a brand new lens that's had a tech at Canon go over it with a fine-toothed comb to ensure it's in spec for a steep discount. The warranty's much shorter (90 days), but even if something breaks, it's not likely to cost more than the $400 I saved by getting it this way. :)