Saturday, February 04, 2006

Old Polaroid SX-70

So I was in Kaufmans in Kearney the other day and came across a Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1 (with case and some flashbars) selling for $32. I bought it and its cousin on the shelf, a Polaroid SX-70 model 3. These generally fetch $80 on Ebay, so I figured I could make a quick buck. However, I kinda wanted to play with it first, so I went to Rockbrooks here in town to pick up some Timezero film (which is going out of production later this year). I've proved to myself that the camera works, that it's really cool, and that for the most part, it would take me a lot of time and money to figure out how the hell to take good pictures with it. :) There's no manual exposure info, just a little dial that you can slide back and forth to cover or reveal the autoexposure meter to make the photo lighter or darker, so exposure is entirely guesswork. I even tried some long tripoded exposures last night (yep -- the camera will do up to 1 minute time exposures... on a Polaroid!), but failed miserably to get the camera to leave the shutter open long enough for the 140 speed film. Anyhow, here's what I ended up with:







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in kearney and didn't call. *shakes head*
-s

Richard Pearson said...

Love the Polaroids...I hope you post some more...